Tuesday, September 25, 2007

What I'm All About

I'm a comic fan. Which means I like to complain about comics. It's like being a square means you are not a circle; the two go together. But there are probably as many blogs complaining about comics as there are comics, so I'm taking a new bent. I'm complaining about comic fanfiction.

Trite? Perhaps. We do have dozens of places to "spork" "badfic" as it were. But there's some very high-profile badfic which never gets sporked... either because it's not considered "bad" on the grading curve from Mary-Sues on up, or because it's produced by a "BNF", or maybe just because it's too obscure. This blog is where I rant about those badfics.

Who am I? I'd rather not say. Hence the rather androgynous name. I was active on Livejournal and a few fic-hosting sites until a little ways back, but right now my journal is in a state of flux dot dot dot. I'm trying to decide whether to immigrate to GreatestJournal, InsaneJournal, JournalFen, or just go outside and get some air. To that end, this blog. I know that even if I'm exposed, I'll just start up a new account on one of those fine services and be on my merry. My real friends will know who I am. The rest of you can do whatever.

For now, I'll just say that I'm something of a fixture in comics "fandom." I have a little under two hundred friends. I've written a few fanfics. That's not where my interest lies and they didn't light the world on fire, but weren't ignored either. Who am I, a non-writer, to criticize writing? I'm not criticizing writing. I'm criticizing typing. Lousy typing at that.

I do not care what people write. Slash, femslash, gen, het, non-cons, chan, incest, grön. I truly do not care. All I want is for the fanfiction to be well-written. Even if I don't read it. I want there to be an atmosphere of excellence in fandom, not back-slapping mediocrity. Getting pretentious for a moment... It's everyone's right and duty to read good stuff. Life is too short for dry, shitty reading and people who write dry, shitty reading should either write better or GTFO. Consider that my manifesto. You wouldn't eat a dirty hot dog when you could have a home-cooked steak. All I want to do is point out how dirty that hot dog is so you can go look for some steak. Or a salad, if you're a vegan.

2 comments:

Rikard said...

I disagree, men can write femslash, virginal boys like andrew troy keller however, can't...also, Andrew Troy Keller must die for making anyone who's unfortunate enough to read his stories dumber.

Rikard said...

Yeah, I sort of mashed a response to two articles into one comment, sorry about that.